Friday, May 7, 2010

Virtual Book Tour Pit Stop #3 with Author Myrna Caudill



Today I have the pleasure of introducing you to author Myrna R. Caudill. She is the author of 2 fabulous books, Cold Case Fallout and Love Triumphs. Welcome Myrna and thank you so much for chatting with us today.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself:

After pursuing a career as an accountant, Girl Scout professional, and tax preparer I decided to try my dream - write a novel. Life's experiences have provided ample material for writing. My first novel “Cold Case Fallout” has been published as have three short stories. “Joshua Came Home at Last,” Joshua Embraces America” and Love at First Sight”.


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I can't pinpoint a first. I think it was an impossible dream that developed as I enjoyed reading. I have even been known to read the verbiage on cereal boxes while eat my breakfast. I have always loved the written word for education, enlightenment, relaxation, humor, romance, etc.


How long does it take you to write a book?
It took 3 months to write the first novel "Cold Case Fallout" and 4 months to write the second one "Love Triumphs!". However, I didn't believe in my first novel enough to send it to a publisher until 4 years after I wrote it.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
It varies. If I have mentally prepared the next scenario of my book, I start writing as soon as I have finished my breakfast. Sometimes I'm in such a hurry I'm still in my nightgown and robe and I write until I have written and re-written that particular scenario, perhaps several hours. At other times if I am still developing a scenario mentally, I edit from the beginning of the book for several hours to get back into the story and make corrections, this usually stimulates my mind and helps to develop a new twist or new scenarios. Not very consistent but it seems to work for me.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I think, perhaps, the answer of the above question. I usually have the next part of the novel in my head before I sit at the computer to write.

How do books get published?
I have self-published both my novels. Frankly, I didn't know anything about publishing, query letters, proposals and any of that. I simply saw an ad on the computer offering to publish and after four years of not submitting my first manuscript I thought, "what the heck" and sent it in. They called me one week later and said they wanted to publish my book.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Various places, news, books on writing, observing events and people, internet research, a remark or happening, nature, anything I see or hear.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I wrote my first book 5 years ago and I was 68 years old. I hope nobody holds my age against me. There is an advantage, you know, I have a lot of life experiences to draw upon.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I have a lot of hobbies, I play the organ, I paint, oil and acrylic, I knit. I sew, I teach adult Sunday school. I love new challenges.

What does your family think of your writing?
They say they are impressed. However, only my husband is really supportive. I have found this to be very disappointing and hurtful.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
All of it. I knew nothing about writing, marketing, publishing, or any of the processes. It has all be new, disappointing, and a learning opportunity.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have written two books. "Cold Case Fallout" and "Love Triumphs!" both have been published. My favorite is my second one. "Love Triumphs!"

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better write? If so, what are they?
Just write, re-write, and keep writing. Like any muscle or skill practice brings improvement.

Do you hear from your readers much. What kinds of things do they say?
I have heard from a few of them and some of them were willing to write complimentary reviews for me. I have used those reviews whenever possible.

Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes, adults are my target audience.

What do you think makes a good story?
If you can picture the story, like a movie, or TV show in your mind as you read and the characters are so intriguing you want to see what happens to them. All of this makes a book a page turner hard to put down.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I developed asthma when I was two years old and this limiting condition, of course, caused me to want to do anything and everything physical. I played basketball, softball, volleyball, plus, I swam, rode by bike and other activities much to the distress of my parents. Usually, an asthma attack followed physical activity particularly if the activity took place outside. Therefore, I thought being in the military would be fun, but women weren't really encouraged to be in the military.
I thought being a professional athlete would be fun, but women of my generation were not supposed to be athletic. So, I settled for reading and enjoying activities through books.

Why write murder/romance?
I wanted to satisfy both of my enjoyable scenarios. I like suspense, mysteries, as well as romance so I merged the two.

What dreams have you realized as a result of your writing?
At this time, simply, the sense of accomplishment of writing a complete novel and then actually getting it published.

What books do you read?
I read books on writing to improve my skills. I read books like "Forensics, Police Procedures, etc. for information. I read Si-Fi, romances, political intrigue, biographies, history books and magazines and many others.

Who is your favorite author?
John Grisham and Georgette Heyer

What are you working on now?
I am working on a sequel to "Love Triumphs!" and I have started a new novel titled "3 Men With Passports" it's a tossup which one will be finished first.

What advice can you give to aspiring writers?
Just do it! If you really enjoy the story others will too.


A review from a gentlemen friends was very gratifying.
“---I’m not a reader but I have put aside my Sports Illustrated to read “Cold Case Fallout” and I am enjoying this book like I wouldn’t have believed.
One chapter leads me to the next chapter and I am fascinated by the writing and the story. I wouldn’t have believed it.
Gary W.

And this review for "Love Triumphs!"
I found Myrna R. Caudill’s novel “Love triumphs!” a most enjoyable read. All her characters were interesting and very life-like.
The mystery and budding romance kept my attention glued to the page up to the end. This novel also gave a graphic description of the inner functioning of a towns’ police force. Let’s hope that Mrs. Caudill is busy creating another storyline as gripping and entertaining as this offering.
Joanna F


Myrna can you please give us your website:

I can also be found on Myspace and Facebook - Myrna R. Caudill.


Thank you so much for being with us today Myrna. It has been a pleasure. Myrna is also on Virtual Book Tour with Authors Supporting Authors. Please follow her tour, all dates can be found at the Virtual Book Tour Cafe. Myrna's next pit stop will be May 10, where she will be guest blogging at Magician Of Oz. Leave a comment for Myrna to be entered into a drawing to win a signed copy of one of her books!
 

0 comments: