Sunday, April 25, 2010

Guest Author Lily Oak of Hope Moon: Why she did it...


Today our guest is author Lily Oak, who produced Hope Moon in just 3 days to help with the Haiti Appeal. Devastated by the news of the Haiti Disaster, Lily was compelled to do something, anything, to help.

This is what Lily had to say:

"Let me paint you a picture. One Janruary morning earlier this year, I sink into the sofa cup of tea in hand, recovering from manic morning getting kids to school. I flick on the TV, and am greeted with harrowing news pictures from the Haiti earthquake disaster. I wish I could do something I thought. Just then my phone started chirping at me, I recognised the number as my temp. agency. "...they said they didn't need you after all. We've got you another placement though it starts on Monday." Nevermind I thought I've already booked child care so I guess I get three quiet days to myself... I'm sure I'll find some thing to do. Something. Then it clicked, being a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, what else would I do?!"

Half an hour later this appeared on Facebook:
























In just 3 days, Lily had enough responses that she was able to put together this great book of short stories, and had it in the publishers hands!





Lily has taken Hope Moon on Virtual Book Tour! We are one of her pit stops, welcome Lily and thank you so much for taking time to speak with us. I know you must get a lot of questions about Hope Moon, but lets put you in the spotlight, and learn about the woman that pulled all this together.


BK: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
LO: When I was about 6 years old, I started 'making' a book at school in free play time. A very, very good teacher called Ms MacKenzie let me skip listening to the story she was reading the class for a whole week so I could finish it.

BK: How long does it take you to write a book?
LO: Well in the case of 'Hope Moon' about 3 days! Although most of it I didn't actually write, I did get time to but a poem n there though. The book I'm working on at the minute is my first full length fiction project. I started work on it at the beginning of the yer and hope to have it finished my mid-2011.

BK: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
LO: Crazy!!! I don't do organized at all. With the website ( www.hedge-witchery.com) to run and articles to do too, I've now taken the approach of 'do what you want at the time', if you're doing what you really want to be doing, you tend to do a good job.

BK: What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
LO: I can not be creative on a computer! All first draft work written by hand, typing it forms part of inital edits.

BK: How do your books get published?
LO: I run Hedge Witchery Books as part of the website. It's become a half-way-house between self-publishing and traditional publishers. So many pit falls to self-publishing that once I learned a fair few tricks of the trade it made sense to go down the path and help other writers.

BK: Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
LO: Anywhere and everywhere! Though a lot of my work is heavily influenced by my spirituality.

BK: When did you write your first book and how old were you?
LO: Well, discounting the one I wrote when I was 6, I first published what were my basic study notes on traditional witchcraft last year. The the thing is I always thing of the projects I've done in the past as books I've 'published'. The labour of love I'm working on at the minute feels like the first one I've 'wrote'.

BK: What do you like to do when you're not writing?
LO: I love being outdoors, absolutley adore it. Luckily I live on top of a National park in the middle of Northumberland.

BK: What does your family think of your writing?
LO: My marriage broke down 4 years ago, and my children are still very small. They see me typing, know I'm distracted and take the opportunity to get up to mischief.

BK: What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
LO: How it changes the way you look at the world. When you spend so much time trying to put yourself inside a characters head, you become more open to other peoples perspective's in life.

BK: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
LO: 3 though 1 has been retired and made into a series of articles. Hope Moon, without a shadow of a doubt is my favorite!

BK: Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
LO: Don't rush for the note pad/computer. Develope a scene/character/story in your head first. Don't rush this when you can vizualise it to the point where all the little details are there, then write it.

BK: Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
LO: All the time especially with Hope Moon. With this book it's not just the content of the bookpeople get in touch about, it's the spirit of it, the story behind it.

BK: Do you like to create books for adults?
LO: The book I'm writing at the minute definately isn't YA Ha Ha Ha!

BK: What do you think makes a good story?
LO: One that pushes your imagination to the very fine line of what seems fantastical, yet could just happen to you.

BK: As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
LO: An author... or a trapeze artist.

I could actually see you as a trapeze artist Lily lol....Thank you so much for being with us today. Congratulations on Hope Moon! It is a wonderful thing you are doing with it and Kudos to you for putting it all together.

Lily will be running a contest throughout her book tour, she will be giving away a prize package to a very lucky winner. To be entered into the drawing for her prize pack, leave a comment here and on her other stops along the way. To view the details for her prize pack please visit Lily's blog at http://hedge-witcherybooks.blogspot.com/2010/04/hope-moon-give-away.html .













0 comments: